Between 10-4pm on Monday 9th November a conference is being held in Birmingham which will provide an update on recent changes in Female Genital Mutilation legislation, the use and application of FGM Protection Orders and guidance regarding the forthcoming Mandatory reporting duty.
Please see the below agenda for the day:
- 10.00-10.15- Welcome, introduction and aims of the day
- 10.15-10.30- FGM- audience questions, dilemmas and challenges
- 10.30-10.45- A Survivor’s Story, Sarian Kamara, FGM survivor and national campaigner
- 10.45- 11.45- FGM- background, definition, prevalence, demographics, motives, complications, risk factors and indicators, the legislation and the new provisions of The Serious Crime Act 2015, including the soon to be introduced MANDATORY REPORTING of FGM, managing FGM, supporting survivors and safeguarding those at risk
- 11.45-12.45- Asking the Question- challenges and barriers with an emphasis on the approach to tackling mandatory reporting of newly discovered FGM in girls and young women under 18 years old.
- 12.45-13.45- LUNCH
- 13.45-14.45- Case discussion and management with reference to the DoH risk assessment tool
- 14.45- 15.15- A Summary of the Learning, feedback and close of the day
There is a nominal fee to cover costs. More information can be found, and bookings can be made via the following link:
Please could I request that you send this to all your partner agency contacts for further distribution. There are a limited amount of free spaces for officers. If you have an officer that would benefit from attending please let me know.